A Message from Stake President Clay E. Johnson
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
The Lord teaches in modern scripture that Stakes in Zion are created that they may be for his people, “a defense, and for a refuge from the storm, and from wrath when it shall be poured out without mixture upon the whole earth”. As mortals we have little control over the frequency and intensity of storms or wrath encountered during this mortal sojourn. However, what we have control over is our personal response to the storms and the depth of our participation as a disciple, in the building, maintaining and strengthening of our stake for a refuge. I invite your participation.
Storms can be significant and far reaching. They may impact communities, specific regions of the earth or even the entire world and its people. Sometimes, overlooked or forgotten but perhaps most commonly experienced, are the storms found in the hearts and private lives of individuals and families. It is in such storms where loneliness, heartache and fear can overwhelm. From personal experiences we know the Lord sometimes calms the storm while other times permitting the storm to rage he calms us, his children.
I am grateful for the many acts of kindness and service our Saints have provided to members and nonmembers alike. We have participated recently in service projects through Light the World and I Was A Stranger initiatives. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, dear brothers and sisters, for your kindness and giving hearts manifested during these projects. Participation in service opportunities helps define and refine us. The Lord called his people Zion because they were of one heart and one mind and dwelt in righteousness. Take note, neither does a Zion people permit poor to be among them.
I feel impressed to call upon us members of the Huntington Beach North Stake to become a Zion people. In this season of storm and wrath, let us renew our desire to be of “one heart and one mind”. Let our efforts be directed to help reduce the poor we find among us. Let this effort begin in our home and ward family. And because all inhabitants of the earth are Heavenly Father’s children, let our desire to create Zion extend beyond the boundary of church membership. I encourage an increase in diligence in ministering to all. A call to discipleship from the Lord includes alleviating pain and suffering, and strengthening and lifting others.
I promise, the Lord will bless our desires and efforts individually and collectively, to meet the needs of each and every family in the Stake and beyond. We possess as Saints the knowledge and ability to combat turmoil and unrest caused through the rage of the adversary. As we choose opportunities to serve, let us remember that we should not serve at the expense of our families and other responsibilities. Let us unite in prayer that our homes can become sanctuaries of faith and the first line of defense where the Spirit resides, as President Nelson admonished us to make them in his recent General Conference address.
I further invite you to discuss this matter and how you can participate as a family in the building, maintaining and strengthening of our stake as a refuge from the storm.
I pray we will exercise our faith with confidence. The Lord is near. Pray and petition our Heavenly Father for an increase of faith in Jesus Christ. Then listen to the still small voice and go forward in the spirit of brotherhood and sisterhood to lift the burdens of another and to mend what recent storms have shattered and left broken.
With all my love and admiration.
Always Your Servant,
President Clay E. Johnson
• Every Member to have an opportunity to serve in the Kingdom of God through having a Church calling.
• Every Stake, Ward, and Family Council frequently read, pray, ponder, and discuss Mosiah 18 and apply the principles found therein.
• Strengthen the relationship between husband and wife.
• Activate the “Power of the Priesthood” in each and every home.
• The spiritual strength of the Stake lies in the strength of the Ward.
• The spiritual strength of the Ward is found in the strength of the Family.
• The Family is strengthened through the righteous use of the Priesthood inside the home.
• Every member of the Stake to have access to the Savior and healing power of the Atonement through the use of Priesthood keys.
• Use personal interviews to express the Savior’s love and recognize the good each member does.
• Encourage a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ through personal scripture study, Temple attendance and service to others.
• Every member 12 years and older to qualify for and obtain a Temple recommend.
• Each family to attend the Temple on a regular and consistent basis.
• Sustain, support and protect the Sisters of the Stake through righteous use of the Priesthood.
• Teach Gospel principles and testify of Gospel truths.
• Encourage members to Come Unto Christ by reverencing covenants made and recognizing the need for Gospel ordinances.
• Help each member understand they have the right and obligation to receive personal revelation. This is best achieved through a spirit of reverence.
• Make the Family Unit the central focus in all we do.
• Our primary focus is on strengthening the family unit relationship with the Savior Jesus Christ.
• Remember the family unit can consist of one individual or multiple generations.
• Be an instrument in the hands of the Lord and set an example to members of the Stake by seeking out and being led to individuals who will respond to the message of the Elders and Sisters.
• Invite these individuals to have missionary lessons in our homes.
• Cada miembro tendrá la oportunidad de servir en el Reino de Dios teniendo un llamamiento de la Iglesia.
• En todos los Consejos de Estaca, Barrio y Familia, se debe leer, orar, meditar, y hablar acerca de Mosíah 18 con frequencia y aplicar sus principios dentro de ello.
• Fortalecer la relación entre Esposo y Esposa.
• Activar el “Poder del Sacerdocio” en todo hogar.
• La fortaleza espiritual de la Estaca proviene de la fortaleza del Barrio.
• La fortaleza espiritual del Barrio proviene de la fortaleza de la Familia.
• La Familia se fortalece por medio del uso justo del Sacerdocio dentro del hogar.
• Cada miembro de la Estaca tendrá acceso al Salvador y el poder sanador de la Expiación por medio del uso de las llaves del Sacerdocio.
• Se usan las entrevistas personales para expresar el amor del Salvador y se reconoce lo bueno que cada miembro hace.
• Se alienta una relación personal con El Señor Jesucristo por medio del estudio personal de las escrituras, la asistencia al Templo, y el servicio a los demás.
• Cada miembro de 12 años en adelante debe calificar para obtener una recomendación para el Templo.
• Cada miembro debe asistir al Templo en una base regular y consistente.
• Se sostiene, se apoya y se protege a las Hermanas de la Estaca por medio del uso justo de Sacerdocio.
• Se enseñan los principios del Evangelio y se testifican de las verdades del Evangelio.
• Se alienta a los miembros a Venir A Cristo por medio de los convenios de reverencia que se han hecho y se reconoce la necesidad de las ordenanzas del Evangelio.
• Se ayuda a cada miembro a entender que tienen el derecho y el deber de recibir revelación personal. Esto se logra por medio de un espíritu de reverencia.
• Se hace de la Unidad Familiar el enfoque central en todo lo que hacemos.
• Nuestro enfoque primordial es de fortalecer la relación de la Unidad Familiar con el Salvador Jesucristo.
• Recordemos que la Unidad Familiar puede consistir en un solo individuo o en varias generaciónes.
• Seamos instrumentos en las manos del Señor y seamos un ejemplo a otros miembros de la Estaca por medio de buscar y ser guiados a los individuos a quienes respondan al mensaje de los Elderes y Hermanas.
• Invitemos a estos a recibir las lecciones de los misioneros en sus hogares.